Important Library Call Numbers for Symphonic Literature
- MT 125 - Analyses/appreciation of symphonic works of multiple composers
- MT 130 - Analysis/appreciation of symphonic works of specific composers
- ML 410 - Books discussing the life/works of specfic composers (organized by composer)
- ML 1255 - History of the symphony
Helpful Books about Symphonic Literature
These books are currently on reserve at both libraries:
- The Orchestra from Beethoven to Berlioz – Adam von Ahn Carse
- Music in the Romantic Era – Alfred Einstein
- The Nineteenth Century Symphony – edited by D. Kern Holoman
The Cambridge Companion to the Orchestra – edited by Colin Lawson
Berlioz's Orchestration Treatise - Hugh MacDonald
The Orchestra, origins and transformations - edited by Joan Peyser
Performing Beethoven - edited by Robin Stowell
Symphonic Music - Homer Ulrich
- Soundings - Glenn Watkins
Profiles of Symphony Orchestras
A Dictionary of Musical Themes – Barlow and Morgenstern (1975 or 1948) (CIM Reference ML128.In7Ba249_1975)
Symphony Themes - Burrows and Redmond (1942) (CIM Reference ML128.Or1Bu946)
The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians - edited by Stanley Sadie (2001) (CIM Reference – also available online)
Guides to Orchestration
Conductors and musicians often need to know the exact orchestration of a given piece as they prepare for a concert. The following resources not only list the orchestration but often include information regarding duration, alternate versions, publication & rental information and basic information on the composer/arranger.
Sr. Research Services Librarian
Where do you work in the Library?
I'm usually in the Reference Desk area or Media Center
What are your musical interests/activities?
Singing and coordinating musicians. Currently I sing and help coordinate the Worship Team at my church.
What are your hobbies?
When not doing the above, I enjoy getting out and spending time with family and friends. I also especially enjoy singing and reading new children's books to my daughter, and listening to audio books.